Today’s Recipe: Nutty Quinoa
The ancient grain quinoa can seem like a scary proposition -- particularly for youngsters and those who have never tried it before. Use this recipe to create a side dish that even your biggest critics will love.
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup pine nuts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-sodium canned chicken broth
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup Kellogg’s Raisin Bran® cereal
- Place pine nuts in a nonstick saucepan and toast over medium heat until golden. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and onion to pan, and cook until onion is softened, about five minutes.
- Add quinoa and cook, stirring for one minute.
- Add broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low, and cook until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, another 10 minutes.
- Transfer quinoa to bowl, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley. Stir in pine nuts and cereal, season with salt and pepper, and serve.