Today’s Recipe: Linguine With Broccoli Rabe
Following a heart-healthy diet doesn't mean giving up your favorite foods, like pasta. As a matter of fact, switching to whole-wheat pasta as part of a healthy diet and exercise routine has been linked to reduced cholesterol levels! Enjoy this dish with some leafy greens and a sprinkle of feta to top it off.
Makes 4 servings
1/3 cup olive oil
6 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 pound whole-wheat linguine
1 large bunch broccoli rabe, rinsed thoroughly and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 lemon, zest finely grated
1 orange, zest finely grated
1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes (or more, to taste)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- Once oil is warm, add garlic and cook until golden brown and crisp, about three minutes.
- Transfer garlic chips to a plate and save the oil in the frying pan.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to the package instructions. A few minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add broccoli rabe to the pot.
- Save 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta and broccoli rabe through a strainer.
- Return pasta and broccoli to the pot; add the reserved cooking water, reserved oil, lemon zest, orange zest and chile flakes. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Divide evenly between serving plates, and top each plate with a sprinkling of feta cheese and the reserved garlic chips.