Today’s Recipe: Hearty Turkey Chili
Besides being a savory comfort food, this chili is a lighter option compared with the norm. It's not made with beef, so it contains less fat, which is helpful if you suffer from occasional digestive issues. Just remember to take an OTC anti-bloating pill if you are sensitive to beans!
Makes 6 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 pound ground turkey breast
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups Kellogg’s Raisin Bran® cereal
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped green olives
1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Add olive oil to a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Toss in onion once the oil is hot, and cook for five minutes, or until the onion is slightly soft.
- Add the garlic and pepper to the pot and cook for an additional two minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add turkey and cook for five minutes, or until cooked through. Season the turkey with a sprinkle of salt.
- Add the chicken stock, cereal, tomatoes (including the liquid from the can), black beans, green olives and cumin. Bring the chili up to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. The cereal flakes will dissolve, thickening the chili. Serve hot.